10 Aug 2017

(THE MIDWIFE SERIES #1): THE MIDWIFE'S REVOLT.

A book read by Kelly (see her review here) and fellow members of the Arkansas Book Club way back in 2016. I'd like to thank North Tyneside Libraries for purchasing a copy of the book along with others in the series.

THE MIDWIFE'S REVOLT by JODI DAYNARD.

BACK COVER BLURB: On a dark night in 1775, Lizzie Boylston is awakened by the sound of cannons. From a hill south of Boston, she watches as fires burn in Charlestown, in a battle that she soon discovers has claimed her husband’s life.

Alone in a new town, Lizzie grieves privately but takes comfort in her deepening friendship with Abigail Adams. Soon, word spreads of Lizzie’s extraordinary midwifery and healing skills, and she begins to channel her grief into caring for those who need her. But when two traveling patriots are poisoned, Lizzie finds herself with far more complicated matters on her hands—she suspects a political plot intended to harm Abigail and her family. Determined to uncover the truth, Lizzie becomes entangled in a conspiracy that could not only destroy her livelihood—and her chance at finding love again—but also lead to the downfall of a new nation.

FIRST SENTENCE {CHAPTER 1}: October 18, 1818. My father once told me I had the mind of a man

MEMORABLE MOMENT {PAGE 27/28}: Rumours abounded, as well, about my mother and myself: that she had practiced in the alchemical arts, and that I myself grew strange plants in my garden and made powerful potions and poisons. This last is partly true. I grew deadly nightshade, whose derivative belladonna, served me well for stubborn cervixes. I enjoyed delicious tomatoes as well, the seeds of which a friend of my mother's sent her from Europe.

SOURCE: A library book.

READ FOR: Not applicable.

MY THOUGHTS: Wow, an epic read. A little lightweight when compared to other books of this genre that I've read and it didn't always draw me in as it might have but still ...

Kind, gentle, knowledgeable in the healing arts and able to ride like a man when needs must. Alas, despite this, I found Lizzie, the Midwife of the title, a bit, well, wishy-washy, her revolt somewhat lacking.

Well researched if the end notes are any kind of testimony. It's just a shame that to me it was this very attention to detail that in some ways let the novel down.These at times wearisome details that slowed the pace of the novel. 

Given these statements it may surprise you to learn that I actually enjoyed this novel, not as much as I might have and certainly not enough that I wanted to continue with the series but enjoy it I nevertheless did. 

7 comments:

Kelly said...

I'm glad that, despite the pitfalls, it wasn't a burden for you to read. I believe a few others in our group have read on in the series, but it's not high on my list. (even though I think the second book focuses on the sister-in-law, who might actually have a better storyline - if I'm remembering correctly)

Literary Feline said...

I am glad you liked this one, Tracy. It sounds like something I might like.

Brian Joseph said...

I am very interested in the time and place that this book takes place in. Thus this sounds intriguing.


With that, I have read a few books that mundane details have really brought down.

Suko said...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts. It sounds like you enjoyed many things about this book. Wonderful review!

Anonymous said...

Tracy,
After I had read Kelly's review
of this book, I added it to my
list, and it will remain there.
But I am keeping in mind what
you said about the book, such as
for instance about Lizzie as a
character. Because I appreciate/
respect your- and Kelly's opinion.
Raven

Alexia561 said...

Too bad Lizzie was so wishy-washy as I love strong female characters. Glad that you were still able to enjoy it!

Stephanie@Fairday's Blog said...

Glad to hear that you likes this one. It is interesting that sometimes the details can way us down when reading. Thanks for sharing! :)